Amazon and Apex Media - Beware of Apex Media Book Rentals

Mar 03, 2013
review #389738

My daughter rented a book from Apex Media for a college class.All information sent by the company for the return of the book went to her junk mail.

She was charged $38 for the rental and I was charged (on my MasterCard) $147 more for a used book worth about $50-60. When I saw the charge, I immediately called Amazon. I was told that the time period to return the book had passed. Apex's policy is that we could not return the book.

Don't rent from these people. Go to some other service!

They should have sent a snail mail warning.Email is not infallible.

94691bc
Had an experience with Amazon and Apex Media?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions

Sep 12

I had a similar experience January 2013. I rented a book from Apex_media and noticed when the book came there was a small tear in on the back cover. Since it was not severe I did not think anything of it. However, when I returned the book, apex_media charged me the full price for the book due to some alleged damage to the cover that was there when they sent it! I immediately contacted Amazon and they refused the charge and apologized for the mistake. Beware of apex_media they do not go through Amazon other than being fulfilled by them!!

Aug 31

I agree mine just showed up on my credit card!!

More cautious next time

Aug 27 St. Louis, Missouri

Thank you! I had the same problem but you helped me catch it in time! Once I checked my junk folder I found what I needed and I'm returning the book now.

gstevena

Aug 27 Coralville, Iowa

Sorry to say you are not out of the woods yet. Hopefully they will accept your return without charging you $$$$ for a damaged book.

Lisa

Aug 14 St. Louis, Missouri

I returned mine early. It was a used book I paid $68 to rent. The edges were worn, it was not "good" as described, but as long it was readable I didn't care. Honestly, I didn't use it much, got most of my posts from online sources. I packaged it securely in a box with paper stuffed around it. I was shocked when i got an email saying they were charging me $114 as the binding was broken and sending it back. I opened it, the binding is not broken! I have made multiple calls to Amazon; keep being told they are "requesting" a refund. I am reporting all this information to the attorney general in my state. This company is fraudulent, and I hate the fact they are defrauding people who can't afford it!

2 0 Reply

Aug 03

It took me 28 years to finish my college degree because I had no mommie and daddie to pay for me~~wait for it~~I was hospitalized when I was still on my Mom's insurance at the age of 22 and at that point it was on my records that I had been treated with something that would prevent me from getting insurance, and when I went off her plan at the age of 23 I started paying $10,000-12,000 per year for medical care, plus all my own living expenses. I finally managed to complete 2 college degrees when I was 47 (less than 3 years ago.) Please no whining about emails landing in the SPAM file, or paying an extra $200 or $300 here or there~~that's a drop in the bucket, seriously, you have no idea.
Tell your kid, to set the browser so that junk mail (SPAM) will be saved so that he (she) can review it~~and it will NOT be automatically deleted.
Anyone with half a brain would understand the importance of doing this. If you have been paying the household bills or running your own business, or if you use computers for a living you would know to tell your kid to do this.
I hope this helps. I don't mean to be harsh. I live in an area where I am surrounded by people who have so much money they refuse to wash their own clothes, clean their own houses, and they have zero common sense about their kids. It's very different than when I grew up.

0 1 Reply

Aug 03

OH~~most important part I left out~~as I was saying, when I was 23, the annual cost was around $10,000-$12,000 per year. When I finally got my insurance in 2005, the cash price was over $40,000 per year. No kidding. That's for normal stuff, no hospitalization or accidents~~there were some very large hospital bills in there too, accidents, illnesses. Working 2 or 3 jobs it's very difficult to get through school. $200 or $300 for a textbook? Is that all? That was twice the amount of food stamps I was getting at one point~~try feeding yourself on $149 a month. SMH

0 1 Reply

Aug 03

This thread was to warn others about a scam, not to *** about the amount. These people are crooks.

3 0 Reply

Aug 03

Lost $242 for "binding damage" when I received the book in poor condition. So upset :(

Jul 31

I just got charged $300 for a rental because the "emails" they sent to notify of its due date never went through. I'm a college student without mommy and daddy to come help me. They took my rent money and give no cares. I have tried everything. Guess they get to screw up my credit now too.... rent will have to wait.

Jul 17

Yup this just happened to me too. I definitely forgot to return the rental, so that was my bad, but I got charged $182 for it, used. The list price for this book brand new is $114. There's no information for Apex media anywhere, and even during the rental period I only received one reminder notification from Amazon. I'm a college student, I can't afford this ***.

ANGRY

Jul 08

OMG! I just experience the same bull today. It is funny how I type into google, "number to apex" and this link comes up. I was charged $174. This is fraud! DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!

Ginia Gowin

Jul 02

I had the exact situation, only my account was charged $224.00. I spent half the day on the phone with Amazon, and was provided the seller's information. When I called Apex Media, I learned that they are not a textbook company, and they do not rent textbooks through Amazon! I believe this is an Amazon scam...why else would they not refund the charges upon return of the book. The Amazon representative I spoke to after calling Apex Media said I never should have been given their information... shady stuff!

magalvin

Jun 28

Should have learned the first time. I rented two textbooks from Apex through Amazon in the fall of 2013. I returned the books within the proper amount of time using the shipping labels from Amazon for USPS. If you want to be able to track the packages using USPS you have to pay extra for shipping (even though it supposedly has a tracking number on the label it wont be activated) but no one tells you this. Took 10 weeks for the books to show up. I think they were lost at the post office during Christmas traffic. I did get Amazon to refund the "purchase prices and waive the late fees once the whole tracking issue was pointed out. The next two books from this last semester we rented and again, shipping them out on 05/13. This time they were using UPS and the shipping label was for both books to be shipped in teh same packaging. I cannot track this package. Amazon page tracking shows that they have left the facility and are enroute - yeah since the 13th? Then went to UPS and entered the tracking # from the shipping label and had to create a My UPS account to actually track. I received a confirmation that the package was delivered on the 18th of June. Figured that would be the end of it but I was wrong. Reeived emails today stating that my books had not been reeived and I was being charged the purchase price!! Amazon is supposedly looking into this and refunding me the money but I'll wait and see. So frustrating!!!

Jul 02

It's not Apex Media...they are not a textbook company. This is an Amazon scam. It happened to me, and I was able to get Apex Media's number. When I contacted the company, they told me they have received several of these calls, but they do not sell, rent, or have anything to do with textbooks. If Amazon isn't the culprit, wouldn't they have quit using Apex after so many complaints. I'm filing a complaint against Amazon.

Jenny

Jun 27 Chicago, Illinois

They just charged me 252.93 extra. I never received any emails letting me know when to return it. I called multiple times and all they tell me is that the book is mine and that there is nothing I can do. I just called my bank to file a claim. Hopefully i can get my money back.

Brandy

Jun 05

So has anyone had any luck with disputing them or amazon? I had the same situation...the binding ripped the first day I opened the book and I didn't use the book one. They denied my returned rental and charged my credit card for over $250. I want to dispute this but don't know how to go about it.
Has anyone had any luck?

gary

Jun 26

Call your credit card company and tell them the charge was fraudulently put on your card, and to remove it.

Hope

May 19 Tarpon Springs, Florida

You have to go to Amazon, account, manage textbook rentals. From there, you will have the option to print a return label or extend the rental. If you go to the regular account order summary page, it will tell you the time has already passed to return the book. Hope this helps someone. :x

gstevena

May 20

Do not trust Apex. Read the other complaints.

1-20 of 61 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Amazon and Apex Media.
Filing a new complaint about
×