Amazon and Apex Media - Beware of Apex Media Book Rentals

Mar 03, 2013
review #389738

My daughter rented a book from Apex Media for a college class.All information sent by the company for the return of the book went to her junk mail.

She was charged $38 for the rental and I was charged (on my MasterCard) $147 more for a used book worth about $50-60. When I saw the charge, I immediately called Amazon. I was told that the time period to return the book had passed. Apex's policy is that we could not return the book.

Don't rent from these people. Go to some other service!

They should have sent a snail mail warning.Email is not infallible.

66acd2b
2.1
Had an experience with Amazon and Apex Media?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA

Jul 17

Yup this just happened to me too. I definitely forgot to return the rental, so that was my bad, but I got charged $182 for it, used. The list price for this book brand new is $114. There's no information for Apex media anywhere, and even during the rental period I only received one reminder notification from Amazon. I'm a college student, I can't afford this ***.

ANGRY

Jul 08

OMG! I just experience the same bull today. It is funny how I type into google, "number to apex" and this link comes up. I was charged $174. This is fraud! DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!

Ginia Gowin

Jul 02

I had the exact situation, only my account was charged $224.00. I spent half the day on the phone with Amazon, and was provided the seller's information. When I called Apex Media, I learned that they are not a textbook company, and they do not rent textbooks through Amazon! I believe this is an Amazon scam...why else would they not refund the charges upon return of the book. The Amazon representative I spoke to after calling Apex Media said I never should have been given their information... shady stuff!

magalvin

Jun 28

Should have learned the first time. I rented two textbooks from Apex through Amazon in the fall of 2013. I returned the books within the proper amount of time using the shipping labels from Amazon for USPS. If you want to be able to track the packages using USPS you have to pay extra for shipping (even though it supposedly has a tracking number on the label it wont be activated) but no one tells you this. Took 10 weeks for the books to show up. I think they were lost at the post office during Christmas traffic. I did get Amazon to refund the "purchase prices and waive the late fees once the whole tracking issue was pointed out. The next two books from this last semester we rented and again, shipping them out on 05/13. This time they were using UPS and the shipping label was for both books to be shipped in teh same packaging. I cannot track this package. Amazon page tracking shows that they have left the facility and are enroute - yeah since the 13th? Then went to UPS and entered the tracking # from the shipping label and had to create a My UPS account to actually track. I received a confirmation that the package was delivered on the 18th of June. Figured that would be the end of it but I was wrong. Reeived emails today stating that my books had not been reeived and I was being charged the purchase price!! Amazon is supposedly looking into this and refunding me the money but I'll wait and see. So frustrating!!!

Jul 02

It's not Apex Media...they are not a textbook company. This is an Amazon scam. It happened to me, and I was able to get Apex Media's number. When I contacted the company, they told me they have received several of these calls, but they do not sell, rent, or have anything to do with textbooks. If Amazon isn't the culprit, wouldn't they have quit using Apex after so many complaints. I'm filing a complaint against Amazon.

Jenny

Jun 27 Chicago, Illinois

They just charged me 252.93 extra. I never received any emails letting me know when to return it. I called multiple times and all they tell me is that the book is mine and that there is nothing I can do. I just called my bank to file a claim. Hopefully i can get my money back.

Brandy

Jun 05

So has anyone had any luck with disputing them or amazon? I had the same situation...the binding ripped the first day I opened the book and I didn't use the book one. They denied my returned rental and charged my credit card for over $250. I want to dispute this but don't know how to go about it.
Has anyone had any luck?

gary

Jun 26

Call your credit card company and tell them the charge was fraudulently put on your card, and to remove it.

Hope

May 19 Tarpon Springs, Florida

You have to go to Amazon, account, manage textbook rentals. From there, you will have the option to print a return label or extend the rental. If you go to the regular account order summary page, it will tell you the time has already passed to return the book. Hope this helps someone. :x

gstevena

May 20

Do not trust Apex. Read the other complaints.

Maryam

Feb 20

Apex Media with Amazon rentals is the worst experience I have ever had with a textbook rental. I was charged $206 on my credit card. Rent from Chegg and save yourself the trouble.

1 0 Reply
Michaela

Jun 26 Lincoln, Nebraska

How did you dispute the charge? I returned two USED books in the same box -- both from Apex Media. One they returned right away, but the second they sent an email about 1 week after stating that it was damaged and would be charging me $284 to replace it. It was an old book that had lots of damage when I received it and markings of lipstick and other items stuck in it and the binding tore up when I received it. I assumed this was fine as it was USED and I was RENTING IT.
Who do I contact to dispute this? Amazon? I want the word out about these slum lord text book renters!!

Broke College Kid

Jan 28

Yup, just lost 250 dollars to them this way.

1 0 Reply
Rick

Jan 27

does anybody have any suggestions on what steps I should take to prevent all this from happening to me at the end of the semester?

Harrison

Jan 27

Cancel the credit card you used for the original transaction (as if it were stolen) and get a new one with a new number. :roll

Feb 22

I changed my card, but they still charged my old card and billed to me. I believe Amazon received a lot of phone called from renter about this fraud company. Amazon needs to do something to stop this company.

scammed

Jan 25

Sounds like they do this to a lot of people. I too rented one for $27 and got charged $203 for a used book. I think it's outrageous that they charge so much for a used book. I could have bought a new copy for less. I will never use them again.

mad student

Jan 22 San Diego, California

Same thing happened to me! but the fee for for the book to purchase was $327!!! from a $27 rental fee... what the F!?
I plan on taking these matters further. Thanks for speaking out. :(

Rick

Jan 22 Morgantown, West Virginia

I just read all this. I "rented" this book from them two weeks ago and still haven't received an email saying when the rentals due. Does anyone know where I can did this info?

CASSIE

Jan 20 Mashpee, Massachusetts

yes! When I purchased this book I was under the impression that I was buying it, not renting it. Nowhere on my oder form or order details did it say I was renting..I was later hit with a $40 amazon rental fee. DO NOT USE APEX MEDIA

Showing 1-20 of 51 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Amazon and Apex Media.
Filing a new complaint about
×